Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lights

I have one week left before I return to the US. People from back home keep asking me what I miss most or what I can't wait to do wen I get back. And although the idea of sushi from my favorite restaurant and DVR'd Mad Men will be greatly enjoyed upon my arrival, I think what I miss the most is the convenience of power. Power is a struggle here. It goes off at some point almost every day. I've actually written this post in my notebook as there is no power. I'm not complaining that I can't blog because the lights went out. But this culture has manifested itself in the 21st century not relying on power. Electronics are put on hold (which can be kind of nice for an American with too many of them). But things are time consuming here, because you can't depend on the power being on whenever you so please. I wonder how much more developed this place would be if the only time they worried that power will be cut off is because of an unpaid bill and not just because that is the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment