Sunday, July 1, 2012

Where did June go?

I haven't felt particularly inspired to write about Uganda. I feel like I should be writing something profound about this place; how the children have moved me, how poverty cripples infrastructure, how inspired I feel by the people I've met, and other things of that nature. And although all of these things are true, I have no desire to write about them. I think I have had no time nor need to process my experiences yet and that is why I can't really write. I am just really content living them.

But because I am an avid blog reader, I recognize the ridiculousness that is to have a blog and not update it. Therefore, I will catch you all up on some things from the last few weeks.

I visited the Nile River. You know when denial is not just a river in Egypt? Turns out it isn't just a river in Uganda, either. It starts here and we took a little boat and got to go around it for a little while. Very cool!

In children news, I've made no attempt to steal any. Most of the children here are in boarding school, so we spend most of our time with the youngest kids who are here. They are full of happiness and joy despite coming from awful circumstances. Many of them were abandoned at BKU from families who could not care for them for some reason. Many are orphans from HIV/AIDS or from the war. Most have seen and experienced things that no one should. I can't imagine watching my parents be murdered or surviving on the streets with my siblings begging for food. Although these are facts that one does not think about all of the time, every once in a while you hear more details of a kid's story and it takes you down. In the land of I know the importance of grief counseling, I wish I could talk to them more about that stuff. But most of the kids here are more concerned with being swung around and looking at videos on volunteers' computers, and I can't blame them for that.

1 comment:

  1. The kids who's lives you've touched are lucky to have been touched by such a good hearted person. I realize you are not alone over there. Nor are you alone in the world in doing the work you're doing. But, you are the only one I know doing it. Therefore, you are getting most of my admiration & praise. It's nice to hear they are an inspiration for you. Yet, I have a feeling none of those kids will ever forget you & the love you show them. Keep on rockin' Uganda as only Mother Maria Teresa does!

    ReplyDelete