Friday, May 4, 2012

Whoa, Uganda?

"Whoa, Uganda?" tends to be most people's reaction after I tell them what I am doing for the summer.  Perhaps I am saying it too nonchalantly, similarly to expressing a trip to the post office or market.  I suppose part of me has to say it that way to normalize it in my own brain.  Almost 10 weeks in Africa is super exciting and nerve-wracking, and definitely not part of my norm. So me making this trip as normal as possible needs to happen, or my nerves might make me throw up a little bit.

For the most part, everyone has been very supportive. People have been doing a superb job sending me well wishes and sounding most excited about my journey.  Others have raised some understandable concern.  Sub-Saharan Africa is no joke. I get it.

I've compiled a list of questions/comments I've gotten so far about this trip. Please feel free to add on any you'd like answered and I will do my best to do so.
  
Q: Uganda! What will you be doing there?
A: I will be working in an orphanage called Bright Kids Uganda  They have a lot of different sustainable projects that I will be helping with. I also hear a lot of soccer is in my future.

Q: Where will you live?
A:  There is a place for volunteers to live on the grounds of the orphanage. 

Q: Be careful not to be eaten by cannibals!
A: I will be very careful not to be eaten by cannibals. Luckily for me, Idi Amin has been dead for almost 10 years.  The 70's were some crazy times.

Q: Are you not afraid of Somali Pirates?!
A: I'm not.  Mostly because I'm not going to Somalia.  And because Uganda is landlocked.  Fingers crossed on being pirate-free.

Q: KONY! Is that why you are going?!?!?!
A: No, no, I am not off to track an international warlord that is the #1 guy on the International Criminal Court's list.   

Q: When do you leave?
A: May 16th. Newark-London; London-Uganda
  
Q: Who are you going with?
A: I am traveling solo.  However, 2 of my classmates will be at BKU volunteering or completing their internship (at different times) during my time there.

Those are my FAQs. Please keep checking back, I'm going to try and post as regularly as I can leading up to the trip and while I am there.


3 comments:

  1. As far as I'm concerned it could be worse. You could be on your way to Mississippi/deep south/white supremists - they make cannibalism and pirates almost fashionable. Besides, Cubans need special spices to taste good (the kind found in the Caribbean not in Africa) and I think pirates can be warded off by teams in the ML and rum!

    Good luck, you're doing a wonderful think. My good thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry everyone, I can't spell at this ungodly hour of the morning. Hopefully all of you know what I meant.

    Heck, I didn't even get my screen name right. Pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Titi, you are SUCH a good egg. I hope you stay safe, help as many kids as you possibly can, find the joy in your heart that keeps you giving so much of your time to children in need & stay safe! I love you more than you will ever know, lil' primita.

    ReplyDelete