Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Some Catch Up

21 May 2012

In typical Ugandan fashion, the power went out when I was going to start this entry. It is my fourth day in Uganda and the lights have gone out every day at an unannounced time. My travels here went relatively smoothly. A red-eye from Newark to London. A sleeping pill which helped me be awake and alert for the 10 hour layover in London. During the layover, met up with my study abroad BFF Soma for some major catching up over cocktails (not sure if that went well with the malaria pills I was starting that day, but whatevs).  Boarded another red eye to Uganda. With amazing luck, managed to be seated in the seat in front of a mentally unstable woman.  She yelled at the flight attendants about what she wanted to eat (I WANT RICE!), not putting her seat belt on, and accusing them of stealing her luggage. She was angry at the man sitting next to her because she wanted to sit near the window, and punched the back of my chair 3x because I was invading her space. When she wasn't doing this she was talking in Luganda (Uganda's native language) to herself in a melodic, rhythmic way the entire time... for 8.5 hours.....awesome. Although making all of us feel a bit crazy, the flight arrived safely which what was most important.

Fast forward to the regular settling in stuff, I learned that my iPad plan did not match up with Uganda's internet plan.  Everyone here carries little flash drive modems that calculate personal use.  The iPad doesn't support USBs and can only pick up wireless signals. So I pretty much bought the most expensive book on the planet.  Oh well! Instead, I will be using Kim's donated laptop for my time here. Thanks Kim!

Just wanted to catch everyone up as I've been a bit MIA. Will write more about everything soon!

1 comment:

  1. I guess the flight to Uganda could have been worse. I remember a story you once told me about a certain trip to Miami, sitting Indian style in the back seat of a GMC Typhoon for the entire drive down there... Sitting behind a mentally disturbed woman is a walk in the park for you cuzzy. You lived with Roli for 25 years!!! Have you contacted any NBC executives yet?

    ReplyDelete